Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:49:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: libtool 1.3 and 1.4

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> As Alan and I have discussed in the past, the move to libtool-1.4 will break
> *everything*, since the ltconfig script doesn't exist anymore -- it's been
> replaced by some m4 script.  This means that every port that uses libtool
> will need USE_AUTOCONF in order to generate a configure file and libtool
> script that takes into account our FreeBSD mods instead of the GNU default
> assumptions.
>
> Of course, this can't be done without the appropriate logic in bsd.port.mk,
> and Alan had asked me to hold off on my 1.4 patches until we release
> 5.0-RELEASE and get the support for autoconf / automake cleaned up.  Only
> then is the time right to start looking at getting libtool-1.4 integrated
> into the ports system.

That is why my patches are to allow *both* versions to be
installed.  That way anything that needs libtool-1.3 just
says: USE_LIBTOOL=yes, or USE_LIBTOOL_VER=13.  So most
ports will just work (if they already say USE_LIBTOOL).
Newer programs that need 1.4 will also work, because they
can simply say: USE_LIBTOOL_VER=14.  Please, take a look at
the patch for bsd.port.mk.
  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~flemej/freebsd/libtool-upgrade/

As I mentioned in my last email, one of the main questions
will be whether to have:
  libtool-1.3.5 and libtool14-1.4.3
or
  libtool13-1.3.5 and libtool-1.4.3

Note, I haven't tested much at all with USE_LIBTOOL_VER=14,
yet because I need some ports that use libtool-1.4 first.
Anyone have one to test with?

-James