Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:10:02 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Lupe Christoph <lupe@lupe-christoph.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Exploits found in FreeBSD 4.10's ports tree.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 07:40:42AM +0100, Lupe Christoph wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2004-12-15 at 17:03:59 -0800, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > This made it to Slashdot today,
>
> I can't find anything resembling this on Slashdot. Can you please
> provide a link to the article?

http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/12/15/2113202.shtml?tid=172&tid=146&tid=128&tid=130&tid=1&tid=106

Apparently a lot of vulnerabilities were found by a class of DJB's students.

> > but what they didn't mention is that the
> > xploits were found in FreeBSD 4.10's ports tree (at least the few that I've
> > checked):

Well the exploits are in the software itself, as far as I can determine,
so yes, of course they will also be in the ports tree.

> > http://tigger.uic.edu/~jlongs2/holes/
>
> A traceroute to tigger.uic.edu fails after 31-35.gw.uic.edu
> (128.248.246.174).

It appears to be slashdotted.

--Stijn

--
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst