Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:09:49 -0500
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libpthread shared library version number

--Sig_pxuA75+.vC3=Ti98zBcZ5rn

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:38:41 -0500 (EST)
Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>=20
> > Guys,
> >
> > I have noticed that libpthread shared library version number in
> > 6-STABLE and 7-CURRENT is the same (.2), which causes all threaded
> > application compiled for 6-STABLE to segfault when executed on
> > 7-CURRENT system, unless libpthread.so.2 is replaced with with its
> > 6-STABLE version which in turn will create problems with threaded
> > apps compiled for 7-CURRENT. IMHO we should increase version number
> > in 7-CURRENT, so that it is in the line of what we have for other
> > system libraries.
>=20
> It should be done as part of a larger set of library version bumps.
> All libraries should be bumped.  I believe kan and kensmith were
> suppose to be looking at that.  We wanted to enable symble versioning
> by default, so all libraries would need to be bumped.
>=20

I never indicate that I was going to do anything regarding version
bumps and I still have no plans whatsoever to do so. It probably does
not make sense to do anything until we have a new GCC in the tree.
Just a note to someone who is brave enough to volunteer for the task.

Handling of libpthread/libthr is not anyone's idea of fun, as both
librares are exporting different symbol sets under the same version
name, stick their dirty hands into rtld internals, etc.

--=20
Alexander Kabaev

--Sig_pxuA75+.vC3=Ti98zBcZ5rn

--Sig_pxuA75+.vC3=Ti98zBcZ5rn--