Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:10:46 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cy@cwsys.cwent.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.mcestate.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>, security@freebsd.org, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

> > know everything and will need to learn from others.  Unless everyone is
> > Albert Einstein here.
>
> It's not what you know, it's how you learn.  Be more willing to
> investigate the obvious before you run to the mailing lists for help
> and you'll go much further here, Vince.  Lack of proper "invesigative
> skills" is your biggest weakness, as I've amply seen while observing
> you these last couple of years, and you won't hone this skill by
> asking questions, you'll hone it by spending just a little extra time
> on each problem before bringing up that email client.
>
> 					Jordan

Jordan makes a lot of sense here.  About 25 years ago a Computing Science
teacher of mine told me that people either get it or they don't.  In her
experience, all class marks could be plotted on an inverted bell curve:  Many
people would get 80-100% and many would get 0-30% while hardly anyone would
get 31-79%.  She didn't go on to explain why this was so, however Jordan's
remarks are probably one of the reasons.  During the years since hearing that
remark, I've had to agree with that teacher (and Jordan) many times and this
is one of those times.

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."