Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:37:37 -0400
From:      Nick Gustas <tychl@mail.txf.com>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp redial unsuccessful

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> cpghost wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:51:48PM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> with my ADSL provider (a reseller of the german Telekom), I'm unable to
>>> make ppp redial after the link has been lost. With Telekom, you usually
>>> get disconnected every 24h hours, but you can simply reconnect .... if
>>> our ppp would support it.
>>>
>> Have you added this to /etc/rc.conf?
>>
>> ppp_mode="ddial"
>>

> Yes of course, as you can see, ppp(8) is not exiting, but entering an
> redial endless loop ...
>
> Ulrich Spoerlein

Not that it helps you much, but I do see working pppoe redial behavior
with Yahoo/AT&T dsl at a client site in the US. I can unhook the dsl
line and it will autoreconnect as soon as it's plugged in again. In the
event of a provider outage it comes back up on its own. The current ppp
session has been running for 59 days, longest session was 353 days, but
the server had to be moved for remodeling.

ppp.conf :
-------
default:
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
set device PPPoE:dc0
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set dial
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route
 set login
 enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

papchap:
 set authname xxxxxxxxx
 set authkey xxxxxxxx

-------

ppp commandline:
/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat papchap

uname -a:
FreeBSD xxxxxxxx.lan 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #1: Tue Apr 26
13:45:16 EDT 2005     root@xxxxxxx.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XXXXXXXX  i386

current trimmed px axu:
USER      PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
root       55  0.0  1.5  2840  896  ??  Ss    5Aug06  32:10.11
/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat papchap