Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:20:11 GMT
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/153951: Intel 10GBase-LR Ethernet card detected as 10GBase-SR

The following reply was made to PR kern/153951; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/153951: Intel 10GBase-LR Ethernet card detected as
 10GBase-SR
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 18:19:37 +0100 (CET)

 > Checking some more I find that the same Intel 82599ES controller based
 > card is also available in 10GBase-SR versions - it simply depends on
 > the type of SFP+ used in the card. See for instance
 >
 >   http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39773
 >   http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39774
 >
 > Thus the *correct* solution to my problem is probably to retrieve the
 > optics type from the SFP+, instead of setting it statically in the
 > driver. Until such a solution is available, my 1-line patch works for
 > me...

 It looks like dynamic dection of optics type has been incorporated
 into the newest version if ixgbe.c, 1.17.2.12.2.2, with description

  217713  - Make phy detection dynamic so adapters that support multiple
  types of media can be properly identified by the interface layer

 Thus I believe kern/153951 should be closed.