Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:57:24 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@pit.databus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:48:00PM +0100, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> >
> > A more permanent solution is to run secondary for root. This has
> > several advantages. One being speed. The root data will be on your
> > machine and automatically refreshed every 30 minutes (only when there
> > are changes, so no useless traffic) by AXFR. If there is another DDoS
> > attack on the root-servers, you won't suffer from it, for you have the
> > data yourself. And they don't change much.
>
> This strikes me as a Really Bad Idea.  It increases the load on the roots
> that you target, and leaves you high and dry if those roots decide to
> deny zone transfers, as they should.  The TTLs returned by the roots are
> plenty long enough to provide a cushion for any outages, and if the roots
> are truly gone longer than that, the whole Internet will not be working.

	Firstly there is no proof that it will actually increase the load
	on the roots.  It may well decrease the load.  The analysis has not
	been done.

	Secondly it is more robust.  You are no longer dependent on having
	to be able to reach a root server when your nameserver starts.

	Thirdly the vast majority (>90%) of the queries to the roots result
	in negative answers.  These are cached for a much shorter period
	than the positive answers.

	Forth you don't need to have every one of your nameservers talking
	to the root servers.  You can use one server to get the zone and
	use it to distribute the zone to your other servers.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org