Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:27:36 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loadable SMBus modules regression in 6-STABLE -> 6-BETA

Hello!

   I've upgraded my 6-STABLE (as of 20-Aug) to the fresh (24-Sep) RELENG_6.
The only modification of the kernel config file is the removal of the
IPFIREWALL_FORWARD_EXTENDED option. Upgrade went successfully, but after
booting into the multiuser mode I've found that /dev/smb0 became unavailable
(so I can't monitor my hardware with the healthd anymore). I've examined
kernel boot logs and found that the only difference is:

  ichsmb0: <Intel 82801DC (ICH4) SMBus controller> port 0xe000-0xe01f irq 17 at
    device 31.3 on pci0
  ichsmb0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
  smbus0: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
-smb0: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus0

So smb0 fails to attach to the smbus0 despite modules being loaded properly:

dmitry@homelynx$ kldstat|grep smb
21    3 0xc07b9000 29ac     smbus.ko
23    1 0xc07c0000 4ff8     ichsmb.ko
45    1 0xc6974000 3000     smb.ko

I'm using all components of the SMBus attachment from modules:

dmitry@homelynx$ grep smb /boot/loader.conf
smbus_load="YES"
smb_load="YES"
ichsmb_load="YES"

I can provide any further information in order to help hunting the bug.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua