Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 23:26:47 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting xfce4 reboots machine

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been running FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT for some months, last time i
>>> rebuilt
>>> the system was April 20th. I've rebooted my machine many times and
>>> started
>>> X and Xfce4 without any trouble, however today I'm out of town on the
>>> road
>>> and when I startx my machine reboots. If I log in as root and startx i
>>> can
>>> run xorg without xfce4. but if i try startxfce4 the machine reboots. If I
>>> try to startx without xfce4 from my non-root account it locks up.
>>> It's pretty quick and nothing I can see in the logs...
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas about troubleshooting??? It seems like it's out of
>>> the blue with no changes to the system that I recall. :)
>>>

>> First, make sure you have cairo-1.10 instead of 1.12.  After that, run
>> pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscripts.  Rebuild anything that says it is
>> missing libxfce4-utils.
>>
>> After that, well, I still see some unsteadiness from xfce-4.10. There's a
>> long delay on start, like a DNS timeout (but I have working DNS).
>>  Switching to console works, switching back usually does not, rebooting the
>> machine.  Leaving X and starting again reboots the machine.  These last two
>> could be due to the recent X upgrade, except I'm pretty sure they did not
>> happen until xfce-4.10.
>>

> thanks. i'll check it out..
>
> Waitman

spending some time troubleshooting this. it's a weird harold, the machine
runs fine for days doing various things (but if i want X i have to log in
as root first and startx, otherwise instant reboot). I've noticed that if i
do a pkg_add the thing reboots, if i run SciTe editor it reboots. like snap
of a finger instantly.

I can do pkg_delete, i deleted cairo (but it claimed to be 1.10). i'll have
to re-add somehow, might have to build from source if it won't stop
rebooting :)

i'll try the pkg_libchk

Thanks,

Waitman