Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:14:43 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-hackers.e471b2@mired.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o?= Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Subject:   Re: File create permissions, what am I missing?

In <20050812233728.GA22225@odin.ac.hmc.edu>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-e=
yed-alien.net> typed:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 06:34:34PM -0300, Jo=E3o Carlos Mendes Luis w=
rote:
> > In a directory with -rwxrwxrwx, any user can create files, but who =
should=20
> > be the owner/group of this file?
> >=20
> > Long time ago in Unix history, the owner would be the user who crea=
ted the=20
> > file, and the group would be the users's primary group.
> >=20
> > Later, IIRC, if the directory group was one of the user's secondary=
 groups,=20
> > the file would also be from this group.
> >=20
> > A later modification defined that a setgid directory would effect i=
n all=20
> > files created belonging to the directory's user.
> >=20
> > Am I correct?
> >=20
> > But I have already tested 3 system, 2 with 5-stable and 1 with 4-st=
able, in=20
> > which the created file inside a -rwxrwxrwx directory is created bel=
onging=20
> > to the directory's group, WITHOUT the setgid bit.  What did I miss?=

>=20
> On BSD systems, the group of a file is always the group of the direct=
ory
> it is in.  This differs from SysV UNIX.  The resident grey-beard at w=
ork
> feels this is a new and annoying behavior. (i.e. it wasn't always thi=
> way. :)

SysV lets you toggle that behavior on a per-directory basis. Turn the
setgid bit on in the directory, and files created in it will be owned
by the group that owns the directory.

=09<mike
--=20
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Network/Unix/Perforce consultant, email for more informatio=
n.