Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:04:35 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient, kernel (STABLE) glitch this morning

Hi there,

I use the local cable company's internet service.  Early this
morning, they reconfigured my area's router, so that it looked
like a single /22 network.  Previously it had appeared to be
four separate class-C networks.  This caused a few glitches with
dhclient, (and the kernel?) which have otherwise performed
flawlessly.  Actually, dhclient seems to have continued to work
OK, but I've uncovered an edge case for /sbin/dhclient-script.

The gist of the problem is that when dhclient was given the new
netmask, the gateway router address changed from 24.192.49.1 to
24.192.49.1.  However, since my IP address did _not_ change,
dhclient-script didn't change the routing table accordingly.

OK, that wasn't to hard to figure out, and I fixed it by hand.
Things still didn't work for a while, and /var/messages started
to fill with:

Sep 21 07:37:46 gurney /kernel: arplookup 24.192.48.1 failed:
host is not on local network
Sep 21 07:37:46 gurney /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate
llinfo for 24.192.48.1rt

These messages seem to have stopped after about 226 seconds,
without any obvious correlation to what I was doing at the time
(shutting X applications down in preparation for rebooting).

I doubt that the situation will occur again, so I can't really
"test" things much further.  I suppose I should send-pr
something about dhclient-script?

--
Andrew