Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:19:02 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd and private networks

I have a situation where I have a setup like so:

Internet<-->[Filtering Bridge]<-->DMZ<-->[NATD]<-->LAN

My filtering bridge works great (thanks to everyone on here for the
assistance, by the way).

I've mananged to get the NATD box working as well, and traffic on the
internal LAN can go out to the Internet via the DMZ and the bridge.
Problem is that I'd like to add a new wrinkle to this- some of the
systems on the DMZ have RFC1918 addresses, not public, or have
RFC1918 addresses in addition to their public IPs. I'd like to be
able to access these RFC1918 addresses via NATD as well as normal
public Internet access.

So I think what I need is to be able to cause natd to bind to two
external IP addresses- the network interface on the natd box is
configured with a primary and alias address, but I can't get it to
route traffic between my two RFC1918 segments on the DMZ and my
private LAN. That way I could establish specific rules for hosts on
my LAN to access specific hosts on the DMZ for various purposes,
without using public IP addresses.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or can natd do this?

The natd box is a Pentium 200 MMX w/ 64MB RAM and running FreeBSD 4.5-
RELEASE. It's running a custom kernel compiled with IPFIREWALL and
IPDIVERT.

Thanks,

Corey Snow