Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:42:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Craig Johnston <craig@gnofn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM DORS-32160 reports SCSI-I

The system:  FreeBSD 2.2-BETA from ftp.freebsd.org around 3 weeks
ago, ASUS sp3g mboard with onboard ncr/symbios 53c810.  The drive,
an IBM DORS 32160 OEM'd for Apple, is on this controller's
bus.  All bus-type stuff is ok.  The problem is that, upon boot,
the drive reports itself as a SCSI-I device.  The version number of
the drive is the same as the one on other people's drives that report
as a SCSI-II device.

I am getting low performance out of the drive and assume that it is
being configured to actually only do SCSI-I because that is what
it reports.  I did dig through some of the scsi code and noticed
a define: SCSI_2_DEF that purported to try to force devices to be
SCSI-II at the cost of breaking others.  I enabled this, but of course
at boot the device is still reporting SCSI-I and I am afraid that
the NCR chip is setting up to talk to this device in SCSI-I
because of its report at bootup, as my performance has not imporved.

Here is my assumption: Apple has changed the firmware on this
drive to report SCSI-I.  I am assuming the drive can actually be
told to do SCSI-II, because totally crippling a perfectly good
Ultra SCSI-II device is just too stupid.

Can anyone confirm that this may be the problem, that it is fixable,
and tell me how?  Otherwise I need to send this drive back.

I can wade through kernel stuff if I have to, given a few general
pointers, if someone can give me a general idea on how to fix this,
if possible -- I.E. tell the NCR to talk SCSI-II to the drive no
matter what it said on boot.

Oh, my NCR SDMS BIOS is v3.0.

TIA,
Craig.