Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 01:25:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: removing /usr/src/sys/compile/XXX

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 11:54:39PM +0930, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > I've noticed my compile/MORDEN kernel build directory isnt getting
> > blown away as it's claimed to
>
> Where is that claimed?  I thought I'd removed all references to
> that...

Err - only in the recesses of my memory, it seems :/ You're correct it no
longer does this.

> > sequence. It used to only increment the build number if I rebuilt without
> > doing a config in the meantime. I suspect this wasnt a deliberate change:
>
> This was a deliberate change.  It was a lot of work to make it
> possible, too :-)
>
> Anyway; you can't do "make depend all install clean" - you have to do
> "make depend && make <whatever>" - otherwise make doesn't pick up the
> dependency information from 'make depend'.

Okay, you caught me again - I was being sloppy. That is in fact the
procedure I go through - I figured the one I gave was equivalent :-)

> > I eventually tracked down a problem I was having building new kernels (it
> > was complaining about a ton of undefined vop_* symbols in vnode_if.h) to
> > the fact that these hadnt been regenerated properly.
>
> Please give more details about this failure - this shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately I've blown away the offending files in my haste to get a
system which can actually build things properly again (see my other post)
- but the situation was that even doing a make clean didnt fix them.

Specifically:

1) cvsup to current src-sys
2) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && config MORDEN
3) cd ../../compile/MORDEN; make depend && make all -j4
   --> dies
4) make clean; repeat from step 2, no change

Something occurred since May 28 which broke this for me. I've cvsupped
regularly since then and my vnode_if.{sh,src} havent changed recently:

[morden|kkenn] 0:26 /usr/src/sys/kern ls -l vn*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  14854 Jun  2 22:22 vnode_if.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  23837 Jun  2 22:22 vnode_if.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11850 Dec 20 13:04 vnode_if.sh
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   8304 May  7 21:18 vnode_if.src

I can provide a list of the /usr/src/sys/* files which have changed in
the past 4 days according to find -mtime -4 if that would be any help.

I do seem to remember one of the two vnode_if.[ch] files being about 40k
long, with the ones generated by vnode_if.sh being about 20k. Now that
I've rm -rf'ed the compile directory they're being correctly recreated, it
seems. I'm /fairly/ certain, however, that I'd done this rm -rf at some
point before in the 4 days since may 28 when I was last able to build a
current kernel.

The vnode_if.[ch] files were being recreated - I remember doing a ls -l and
noticing they had dates of June 1. It just seems that at least one of
them was being created incorrectly.

I dont have any local mods to my source tree (well, I had been playing
around with an atapi patch, but cvsup keeps on blowing it away like cvsup
does and I hadnt bothered to look at making it 'permanent'.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help - I need to learn to start keeping logs
of stuff when it breaks, since occasionally it turns out to be
significant and not just a temporary bogon :)

> Eivind.

Kris