Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 23:44:25 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
"Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> > Actually, we weren't talking much about theology until you took
> > offense at the subject line.
>
> You misunderstand, sir.  No offense taken.  Just a friendly little
> conversation.  Evolution has certain implied theological committments,
> however, so it seemed appropriate to "seize the moment", if you will.

Tellihard De Chardin seems to do a good job at being a theist of your
stripe and accepting the theory of evolution at the same time; somewhat
earlier, Chief Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook seemed to incorporate evolution
and other "heretical" ideas into his unique theological reconcilliation
of modern thought and Orthodoxy. Again, as an Orthodox Jew, I'm not an
"evolutionist", but I think it's somewhat dishonest to label a
scientific theory as a religion.