Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:36:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Troy Settle wrote:

> Then, I went to add a user.  This went ok, but when I went to use chpass
> to edit the user information, I see that it's not in root's default path
> (still haven't figured out where they have it).  Had to use vipw, which
> pulled up some lame-ass GUI editor by default.  Talk about nasty.  I'd
> rather use ee.

# exec ksh
# set -o vi
# EDITOR=vi
# export EDITOR

Will make your life much happier.

> Can anyone tell me just how the hell Sun manages to sell this crap?  Or
> are people addicted to the hardware, and suffer the OS for that reason?

The hardware sucks, and costs too much.  The OS  is, however, UNIX(TM), so
it's moderatly stable, and the enviornment can be made usable.  I don't at
all mind having a solaris box on my desktop, though I use the FreeBSD one
except to do interoperability stuff, and to test the user enviornment.
Out of the box, the user enviornment sucks.  Most solaris shops have been
using it forever, and have all sorts of customizations .  I think the same
is true of most useful operating systems.  Even a default FreeBSD
installation isn't very usable -- as a user enviornment.  The upside is that
it is possible to make work the way that I want it to, and isn't much effort.
This box has 145 packages installed on it.  The box on my desk at work
likely has twice that, and I don't have gnome or the KDE installed.

> *sigh*

> I'd just as soon trade this thing in for a beefy FreeBSD box (or even
> NT!), but the software we gotta run is only for Solaris.

I suspect that you will take the NT comment back.  If not now, soo.  System
V.3.2 is nicer to deal with than NT.

David