Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:07:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: odd icmp packet

| I monitor odd packets on broadcast channels, and this turned up in my
| logs:
|
| Sep 14 14:57:55 dawn /kernel: ipfw: 60100 Accept ICMP:11.0 xxx.xx.xx.xx
| 255.255.255.255 in via de0
|
| xxx.xx.xx.xx is not on my subnet, but the machine which recorded this is
| not behind a firewall except in so far as it runs its own filters
|
| ICMP:11.0 indicates time exceeded in transit.  Can someone explain what
| might have caused this.
|
| Am I correct in thinking that because ICMP packets do not generate

Not really, an ICMP ping flood is quite a substantial way of DoS'ing
someone and tends to eat up all the bandwidth on a modem connection -
depending upon the source of the ICMPs you could quite easily saturate
a [T|E]1 or higher. It's often used on the IRC networks when someone's
trying to flood someone else off.

Your right in thinking that a Time Exceeded in Transit can't cause
a DoS though (although someone's bound to prove me wrong ;)

Regards,

Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
--
[| Network Admin | FastNet International | http://fast.net.uk/ |]