Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:21:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        stephen <sjh003@beta.latech.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd named routed

stephen wrote:

> hostname="serenity"             #enable serenity's hostname

This should really be an FQDN rather than just the host name, but it
probably doesn't matter much.

> -----problem-------
> i have a friend running named and routed services...
> I think it will slow down my already slow machiene...
> Do i need to run theses services ???

I'm sure you don't need routed. named would be useful, to provide
a local DNS server + cache for other machines on your network. I
don't think named will use much CPU time though, so don't worry too
much. If you don't know how to set up named though, don't bother, but it
shouldn't be hard to set up a caching and forwarding only named. (i.e.
it's not a master/slave for any domain.)

> -----question #1-----
> how will the winnt machiene and the win 98 machiene get the new ip
> addresses...

Which new IP addresses?

> will the natd demon assign the addresses automatically...

No, it just translates internal addresses to your external address on
outbound packets, and vice versa. Basically, you get an external IP
address from your ISP (e.g.  212.228.14.13 (that's mine)). Machines
on your LAN will have 192.168/16 address (it looks like you know this
already). e.g. your FreeBSD router would be 192.168.1.1 (in addition to
your external IP on the other interface), configure your Win 98 machine
as 192.168.1.2, etc.

I'm not sure I see your problem. Could you explain precisely what isn't
working, and in what way it isn't working?

> i can just see all my friends getting droped from icq cause my puter is so
> slow ???

I think there are people using less beefy machines than a P90 as a
router for a home network. That should easily be enough.

> i only get one ip from the cable modem dial up...

That's fine, that's why you use NAT. :-)

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and