Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:43:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1@pop.uky.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the su command and specifing who can telnet

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Val wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Ross McFarland wrote:
>
> > 1) I've found and understand how the ftp access is controlled by a file, where and\or how can I control who can access the server by Telnet?  I have a user name for apache to run under and would like to restrict its ability to log in from any where other than the console.
> I think it's called /etc/login.access
> but on my system originally it was set up do deny login to anyone other
> from the console, so I had to put in some ips in there and now i can
> telnet from those ips.  You can also control usernames that can telnet
> into the system from there.
Yup.
You can do a lot of restrictions and openings with it.  Just play with it
a while.

> > 2) how do I allow a user to su to root.  I've tried setting group to 0(wheel) and using the log in class root, staff and everything else I can think of in every combination.  when I try it always says
> We use sudo port to let users run commands as root.
> it's one of the ports.  this way you don't need to tell them the root
> password.  Every action is logged into the /var/log/messages and there are
> some other precausions i think, like you can't delete root, etc.
> Access to sudo command is controlled by the file: sudoers.
Well, you still want to be able to su.
The users who need to su need to be listed under group wheel in
/etc/group, not just have wheel as their login group in
/etc/master.passwd.

> regards,
> Val.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |