Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 20:33:19 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, tom@sdf.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old "make reinstall" bug

>  However, it just doesn't work.  "make reinstall" has never worked
>properly in 2.2, as far as I know.  Every time I've done a "make
>world", then a "make reinstall" on another server, I need to
>butched up the source tree to get "make reinstall" to complete.  Perhaps
>it because I use a separte object tree, and everyone else build the object
>files in the source tree?

>  I also need to do a "make objlink" to build the obj symlinks into the
>object tree into order to get "make reinstall" to start installing the
>libs.

I use a separate obj tree and rarely use obj links.  My current obj tree
even works with the 2.2 /usr/src/Makefile and the 2.2 /usr/src/include!,
at least as as far as installing all the includes, with DESTDIR=/c/z/root
where /c/z/root is initially empty.  The problem might be with stale
obj links.

Bruce