Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:47:27 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        wu barry <wu_qingbo1969@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ia64 install problem on Intel Tiger 4

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:35:53PM +0800, wu barry wrote:

> Marcel, thanks for your help.
>
> I can use serial console to install. But also pause at the same place,
> because the serial console in tiger 4 is com2

You should be able to make com2 the serial console in the boot loader.
Try:

	set hint.sio.0.flags="0x00"
	set hint.sio.1.flags="0x90"

The first line clears the flags that tells the kernel that com1 is
to be used as a serial console. The second line enables the flags
for com2.

> not com1, then I have to build new kernel to support com2. But I could
> not find any ia64 system at hand, The rest system is ia32. Can I build
> ia64 kernel under ia32 freebsd environment? If can, how to do?

You can.

Start a buildworld for ia64 on some i386 machine like this:

	cd /usr/src; make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=ia64

Once the buildworld has passed the point of building the cross-tools,
you can start building a kernel, like this:

	cd /usr/src; make buildkernel TARGET_ARCH=ia64

When in doubt as to when you can start the kernel build, wait for the
world build to finish (can take 2 hours).

> Besides, intel tiger 4 support ehci usb and lsi53c1030 scsi. I do not
> know if freebsd 5.0 can support ehci and lsi53c1030 scsi. If so, where
> can I find?

I was afraid of EHCI. We don't have that yet. NetBSD has it and we
keep our USB implementation roughly the same, so it shouldn't be
too hard to port it over.

The SCSI controller is supported by the mpt(4) driver. It works fine.

HTH,