Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:35:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        shawn@cpl.net (Shawn Ramsey)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: passwd change?

Shawn Ramsey wrote,
> How can I allow normal users to change their passwd to all lowercase, all
> alpha passwd? I get this error now :
>
> Please don't use an all-lower case password.
> Unusual capitalization, control characters or digits are suggested.
>
> Is there an easy way around this?

You can edit the check out of the source code and recompile. From
src/usr.bin/paswd/local_passwd.c,

                for (t = p; *t && islower(*t); ++t);
                if (!*t && (uid != 0 || ++tries < 2)) {
                        (void)printf("Please don't use an all-lower case passwor
d.\nUnusual capitalization, control characters or digits are suggested.\n");
                        continue;
                }

Other than that, I believe non-root users are stuck. I am not aware of
a good reason to disable it, but if you really want to...