Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 04:48:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, <current@FreeBSD.org>, <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_add broken by POLA breakage in tar

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Bakul Shah wrote:
> >
> > My recollection matches what Bruce says (and I have been
> > using unix since when version 7 was the latest and greatest).
> > At least the SUN OS 5.6 man page I could locate online says
> > this:
> >
> >  The o function modifier is only valid with the x function. p
> >  Restore the named files to their original modes, and ACLs if
> >  applicable, ignoring the present umask(1). This is the
> >  default behavior if invoked as super-user with the x
> >  function letter specified. If super-user, SETUID and sticky
> >  information are also extracted, and files are restored with
> >  their original owners and permissions, rather than owned
> >  by root.
> >
> > This superuser behavior is what allows one to use tar as an
> > archiving program.
>
> Well, OK, now I am really confused. So what should we be bound to? To
> the POLA (old GNU tar in 4.6-release and downward was not fully
> preserving permissions unless -p is specified, even when invoked by
> root)? Or to what other systems do? Bruce, what do you think?

I'm confused too.  I new about the special case for root from old (gnu
tar?) documentation and thought that FreeBSD tar had it.  But the
FreeBSD behaviour seems to be in the FSF version of old tar.  The
ChangeLogs for the current tar only go back to 1996 and don't seem
to cover any FSF changes related to this.

I think we should switch to the documented superuser behaviour as soon
as possible (immediately in -current).

Bruce