Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:07:52 -0700
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Fusion IO drives?

I'll put on my iXsystems hat here, as well as my fast storage, ZFS and
Fusion-I/O hat.

The ZFS filesystem supports dedicated ZIL devices, which can accelerate
certain types of write requests, notably related to fsync.  The VMWare
NFS client issues a sync with every write, and most databases do as
well.  In those types of environments having a fast dedicated ZIL device
is almost essential.  In other environments the benefits of a dedicated
ZIL range from non-existent to substantial.

A good dedicated ZIL device is all about latency.  It doesn't need to be
large, in fact it will only ever handle 10 seconds of writes, so 10x
network bandwidth is worst case. (In most environments this means 20GB
is larger than needed).

Fusion-I/O cards are far too large to be cost effective ZIL devices.
Even though they do rock at I/O latency, the really fast ones are also
fairly large, so the $/GB on them isn't so attractive.  There are better
options for ZIL devices.

Another consideration is the Fusion-I/O driver is fairly memory hungry,
which competes with memory ZFS wants to use for read caching.

Now as an L2ARC device, that's a whole different can of worms.

Command line used: iozone -r 4k -s 96g -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 -t 8
Parent sees throughput for  8 readers           = 1712399.95 KB/sec
L2 ARC Breakdown:                               197.45m
Hit Ratio:                      98.61%  194.71m
L2 ARC Size: (Adaptive)                         771.13  GiB
ARC Efficiency:                                 683.40m
Actual Hit Ratio:               71.09%  485.82m

~ 800GB test data, all served from cache.

If you are considering Fusion-I/O, the FreeBSD driver is generally not
released to the general public by Fusion-I/O, but can be obtained from
various partners. (I believe iXsystems is the only FreeBSD friendly
fusion-i/o partner but could be wrong about that)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel