Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:26:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

> Doug wrote:
> > John Polstra wrote:
> >>
> >> Are you sure?  If you simply don't run an identd, the queries will
> >> get an instant connection refused error.  That's even faster than
> >> sending back a bogus response.
> >
> >       Many daemons that request ident, and almost all IRC daemons
> > that I'm aware of don't take "NO" for an answer. They sit waiting
> > for a valid response, and timeout after X seconds, where X is c. 30
> > seconds.
>
> Really??  Even though their connect() call failed?  Ick!  I know
> sendmail doesn't behave that way.  I'll take your word about the IRC
> daemons -- I don't know anything about them.
>
> > Whether this behavior is good or not begs the question,
>
> Agreed.

Every ircd i've ever seen will immediately return on a connection refused
response.

With ident:

[15:22] -irc.dragondata.com- Looking up your hostname...
[15:22] -irc.dragondata.com- Found your hostname, cached
[15:22] -irc.dragondata.com- Checking Ident
*** Identd request from 204.137.237.3
*** Identd replied: 1063, 4242 : USERID : UNIX : toasty
[15:22] -irc.dragondata.com- Got Ident response
PING? PONG!
Welcome to Newnet Toasty9
Your host is irc.dragondata.com, running version nn-1.3devel.tmnotefix.noudpspam.hnam

Elapsed time was less than 1 second.

With no ident:

[15:21] -irc.dragondata.com- Looking up your hostname...
[15:21] -irc.dragondata.com- Checking Ident
[15:21] -irc.dragondata.com- Found your hostname
ToastyMan Nickname is already in use.
PING? PONG!
Welcome to Newnet Toasty9
Your host is irc.dragondata.com, running version nn-1.3devel.tmnotefix.noudpspam.hnam

Elapsed time was less than 1 second.

(I just tested this in NewNet, DALnet, EFnet, and Undernet)

The only time I see it sitting there for 30 seconds is if ircd gets no
response at all back, (no 'connection refused')

Kevin