Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 00:21:31 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of any software for playing Video CDs?

Thank you Brian.

And to the group I hope that others respect when someone signs an NDA.
One thing is to talk "about" a technical procedure  as opposed to
actually describing in detail the technical procedure.

With respect to Philips and Sony licensing on CDI and VideCD, even
if a hacker manages to crack the CDI or VideoCD , for instance,
I who originally decoded the CDI format, can not publish the source
and for binary distribution I have to have a license. Since Brian
already has a license from Philips , I suspect that he will be able
to give us binary in the form of a library or as he suggests a
"filter".

jkh@time.cdrom.com said:
> Argh.  So we're back to hardware assist again?  I guess we've passed
> what can be reasonably discussed in such an oblique fashion so I'll
> just go away now with the conclusion that no, it can't be done and
> maybe if you had Amancio's Special Secret Setup you could do it but
> we don't so we can't. :-)

> Either that or we've hit the language barrier again, I don't know
> which.  All I *do* know is that I'm now more confused about this than
> when we started, so I'll quit while I'm behind and put all these
> stupid video CDs back on the shelf, to wait for DVD. ;-)

	Amancio