Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:49:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new drive

In message <200104080140.DAA21512@info.iet.unipi.it> Luigi Rizzo writes:
: > In message <20010406110817.B29989@cec.wustl.edu> Andrew Hesford writes:
: > : Hrm... I'm sorry then. I have no idea why the Handbook asks you to zero
: > : out the device, it consumes a lot of time and really isn't necessary. I
: > : wonder if that could be the source of your problem.
: >
: > The handbook should say that only the first cylendar (usually 1M)
: > should be zeroed.
:
: do you really need to zero out everything, or just the MBR,
: or maybe just the first block in the slice ?

In practice, I've foudn that the MBR (sector 0) plus the first track
plus the first sector that will be in the slice that fdisk creates are
the critical parts.  Otherwise boot1 gets confused and won't boot
things.

Warner