Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 02:45:09 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor shadows?

On Mon, Jun 30, 1997 at 01:50:00PM +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> Mark Mayo stands accused of saying:
>
> > Several people have suggested that my problem may just be a crappy
> > (improperly shielded) VGA cable. I'm going to get a new cable and
> > see if that is in fact the problem - I would be a happy man indeed
> > if I can fix this problem with a new cable (read: it won't cost me
> > much!).
>
> I assumed you were using the cable that came with the MAG, which is
> properly shielded and matched.

Well, I'm pretty sure it is in fact the cable that came with the MAG, but it
might not be. I've movved several times in the last 3 years and it's quite
possible that the cable might have been switched. I guess I'll have to
contact MAG to get the details of what type of cable I should get to match
the monitor. Someone else mentioned that a BNC cable would be better than the
VGA-15 cable - I cant imagine why this would be the case since I'd have to
go through a converter anyynow to conncect to my Millenium card...

> > I'm pretty sure I'm within the refresh limits of the
> > monitor, since it just shuts itself off and says the signal is out
> > of range when I try something really high -- I have no idea how I'd
> > tell if I'm overdriving the thing signal wise (I'm assuming you're
> > talking about impedence or signal amplitude?). I can't picture how
> > the ampliers could ever get into a state where clipping would occur,
> > in any reasonably intelligent monitor (which I would say the MAG
> > is)...
>
> The point I was making was that the basic problem (smearing) can be
> causes by any of the listed factors.  The MAG will cut out if you
> exceed its design parameters, but the input circuitry may have
> degraded to the point where it is incapable of handling the signal
> you are feeding it anymore.

Okay. And the input amplifiers and the transeivers are prime candidates
I would imagine. How long does the typical "high-quality" monitor like the
MAG generally last before it starts to degrade? Just curious.

> [dribble that I if I weren't so lazy I'd find out on my own deleted..]
>
> >From my POV, the MAG electronics are wonderful, but the tube assembly
> sucks bigtime.  Mine has a lopsided trapezoidal display, poor
> convergance and the red gun is going.

Bummer. Mine hasn't degraded to that point yet :-)  Of course, I'd probably
love to find an excuse to buy a new spiffy monitor anyways - and I could
probably get one 10X better than my MAG for a couple hundred less than what
I paid for it 4 years ago..... Ahh, only if I were rich... ;-)

-Mark

> > -Mark
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert