Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:09:35 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   subdisk6: detached --> Fatal trap 9

I've been trying to get FreeBSD running on a new machine with the
following hardware:

	Tyan S2895 motherboard, BIOS v1.02
	2x Opteron 275
	8 GB ECC RAM
	400 GB SATA HDD
	IDE DVD/CD drive

Initially, installation went fine using snapshot 012 from
ftp.freebsd.org.  However, once the system is up and running, within
minutes of loading the filesystem with a cvsup or cvs checkout, I get
errors something like:

	subdisk6: detached
	g_vfs_done():ad6s1f[WRITE(offset=10217842688, length=2048)]error = 6
	ad6: detached
	Fatal trap 9 [...]
	g_vfs_done():[12-15 more messages like the one above.]

Sometimes I get a bit of information about the CPU state, but it's
usually corrupted.  The machine has failed to drop to ddb most of the
time, and haven't been lucky enough to get a prompt the last several
hangs.

Now, the real fun is that after this happens a few times, the machine
will no longer finish booting, either from the HDD or from the
install CD.  Booting hangs after probing acd0.  I'm going to have to
install Linux to blow away the MBR again, and try this a third time.

If I understand the error messages above correctly, the device driver
for the SATA drive is detaching the device for some reason, and the
g_vfs_done() message is simply due to the drive having been yanked.
I have never seen any messages that indicate why the HDD is being
detached.

I did not have these problems when I installed from snapshot 011
(November 2005), but when I built/installed head as of ~3 days ago,
the above problems surfaced, and after a few crashes I had to
reinstall from scratch (after overwriting the MBR with GRUB).

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Barring answers to the above, can anyone provide pointers in tracking
this down?

Thanks,
Jason