Date:      Mon, 14 May 2012 13:55:04 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, gperez@entel.upc.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] SMP/i386 suspend/resume

On 2012-05-14 00:16:17 -0400, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I think this is graphic driver problem.  nvidia's driver seems
>>> to have correct suspend/resume method.
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_archive.html
>>>
>>> Have you try it?
>>
>> Yes, it is running the propietary driver. Everything was done
>> with it loaded. Do you want me to try without the nvidia binary
>> driver?

First of all, thank you very much for your work!  I wanted to do it
for very long time but I had no time to actually implement it. :-)

> Yes, if it doesn't bother you. Hmmm, it doesn't seem related with
> my SMP/i386 sleep patches.

I know for sure it is not related to your patches.  In fact, we cannot
resume most NVIDIA controllers without NVIDIA kernel driver + binary
X.org driver + VT switching hack (i.e.,
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=0, which is default).  Also, there
is ACPI_PM option for ports/x11/nvidia-driver but it doesn't help much
because it doesn't seem to save/restore GPU registers by itself (off
by default).  Very few NVIDIA controllers can be reset with BIOS POST
or saved/restored with VBE functions.  Many Intel controllers have
similar issues and they need kib's KMS driver.  Usually, ATI/AMD
controllers have no problem when (relatively recent) vesa.ko is
compiled into kernel or loaded as module as they have complete VBE
save/restore functions.  Similarly, any video controllers with correct
save/restore functions should work with vesa.ko.

> Could you try also Uni-processer kernel (w/o SMP and apic from
> config file) without my patches?
>
>> OTOH, IIRC the console only test (without X) without acpi_video
>> lead to freeze. No crash dump. The machine has no serial or fwire
>> ports :(
>
> We can improve video initialization on another opportunity. Linux
> have many video hacks while we have only hw.acpi.reset_video ;)

FYI, we don't need hw.acpi.reset_video any more (and it is even
harmful).  It is done from vesa.ko now.

> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/video.txt I believe
> there are some solutions for you in this document, then we can
> implement them in our source if found.

Most of these Linux hacks are completely obsolete since KMS.  I really
don't want to reiterate Linux mistakes again.

Jung-uk Kim