Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:16:38 +0200
From:      Till Oliver Knoll <till.oliver.knoll@gmail.com>
To:        mexas@bris.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: when do I need to set JAVA_HOME?

> Am 04.04.2016 um 13:04 schrieb Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>:
>=20
> I'm having troubles running an openGL
> 3D visualisation over ssh -Y:
>=20
> javax.media.opengl.GLException: Error making context current
>        at com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11GLContext.makeCurrentImpl(X11GLContex=
t.java:141)
>        at com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11OnscreenGLContext.makeCurrentImpl(X11=
OnscreenGLContext.java:69)
>        at=20

Hello list,

The exception above sais that "OpenGL cannot activate ("make current") the d=
esired (requested) graphic context". That is usually the case when the GPU (=
graphic card) does not provide the requested features such as bit depth or f=
eatures such as double-buffering (actually that would fail already at OpenGL=
 context /creation/ time, but let's skip over the details here, shall ww ;))=
.

The point is to me it doesn't look like a class is missing, which would hint=
 at a missing CLASSPATH. It is really an error at runtime, after all classes=
 have been loaded.

It could still be that some (non-mandatory) OpenGL driver is not found (in t=
he JAVA CLASSPATH), but my suspicion goes towards SSH: we are talking about a=
 remote connection, right? Could well be that your remote X client (or was i=
t the X Server? IIRC those X11 people have a weitd notion of "server" and "c=
lient" - but never mind ;)), that is the display "where you eventually show t=
he app", claims to have features (for the created GL context) which it doesn=
't (or the "X Server" on the remote display is simply buggy).

All that said: does the application run locally (without SSH)? Do other Open=
GL applications run over SSH (with a comparable feature set, that is, do the=
y make use of the same OpenGL version features, e.g. "OpenGL 3.3" or even 4.=
x)?

Cheers,
  Oliver