Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:03:42 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Arcady Genkin' <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Still can't get ethernet cards going (HELP!)

	[ML]  As I have been subsequently informed, ne2k does not use
iomem (I had them confused with SMC Elite Ultras which do, and use the
same driver, too.)

> BUT -- I had both of the cards running fine under Linux on the same
> machine, with the same settings.
>
> Right now I changed IRQ's for 10 and 11 -- in case there's a conflict
> with some other IRQ's on the system. Now I'll wait for 4 hours for the
>
> kernel to recompile ;^), and then let you know if that worked.
	[ML]  4 hour compilation is obscene--are you sure that the turbo
is not disabled?  My 486dx33 compiles the kernel, including make depend
under 1 hour (45 minutes is more like it).  Do you have any L2 cache on
the machine (IIRC, turbo switch disables L2 cache for the 486).

> But the fact remains -- I had the cards working fine under Linux with
> the same configuration. In fact, I have just installed FreeBSD on that
>
> machine instead of Linux, and didn't change or add any hardware.
	[ML]  It may still be that the kernel resource allocation
refuses to try the second card because of the iomem conflict, even
though iomem is not used once the card is recognized.  So, you could lie
to the kernel and set one of the iomems at cc000, the other at d8000 and
see what happens.  You can do that from (visual) userconfig, without the
need to recompile the kernel.

	[ML]  /Marino