Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:47:20 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..
References:  <CACqU3MVh6shncm2Vtqj9oe_HxowWscCZ1eJf0q2F%2B=t_xKKBfQ@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MW%2BBjXu%2B2sAgbtc%2Bx-Mc4heowr9Bi6LAfFR5QYsMVf2Nw@mail.gmail.com> <CACqU3MVdYwg_VriY=FgbZ20xV0Xb6CkdpZyrxRTLw60GTFJj=A@mail.gmail.com> <201207301706.02788.jhb@freebsd.org> <CACqU3MWXKKCcoBa=94Dkte=-nxn%2BYVGR-pjDNTSM1hkPsxkZGA@mail.gmail.com> <B54DE5AE-E8C1-49B1-9562-53AE00FAB6BD@bsdimp.com> <CACqU3MVVpQCu8wK=q6LRDhfv-j_GxAbF%2BWTj45PuOoFRUFuRrQ@mail.gmail.com> <B08635E6-C258-417A-9E04-5CFA4B3B6B21@bsdimp.com>

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>> [...] We lack that right now, which is why you're trying to shoe-horn the FDT connections into a newbus world and complaining that everything sucks because it is a poor fit.  I'd suggest that different mechanisms are necessary.
>>>
>> I'm not trying anything, or at least no longer. I do not see the point
>> working on that when I can not get trivial patches in, especially
>> those fixing poorly maintained drivers, whose issues _do_ affect
>> people.
>
> Hey Arnaud, sorry to be a little harsh, but maybe if you shouted less and cooperated more, people would be more willing to work with you.

I tried to be Mr Nice Guy in the past, all I got in return was being
ignored. Lists are full of unanswered problem because people do not
want to insist getting an answer. Now, believe me on one point, if you
are a driver or subsystem author, might I have an issue with your
work, I *will* be a recurring pain in your butt to get the issue
fixed, or to get in what I do believe, with the limited set of
knowledge and resources to my disposal[0], to be a correct fix for the
issue, at the time. If you are condescending, arrogant, or advocates
of the status-quo, as have been committers in the past, I will return
you favor. Let face it, FreeBSD is not the most outstanding OS out
there (despite obvious capabilities), and I would not be too proud of
its state.

All that to say that asking politely does not work in the arbitrary
FreeBSD realm, where "the power to serve", is today nothing more that
a relic.

 - Arnaud

ps: note that I am ready to be wrong and to be publicly proven so, as
it's been the case recently.

[0]: which certainly not mean I am wrong, very far from that.