Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:08:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        exalted!mike <mikeg@netillusions.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CHAP - PPP

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, exalted!mike wrote:

> i seem to have chap problems whlie ppping
> my ppp.conf is basically setup with all the usual stuff, my
> chap authname/authkey is set, chap is enabled.
> after dialing it manually(using term -> at -> atdt#####), it gives me a
> login, after logging in, it gives me a prompt,
> cas1>
> typing ? will give me a list of commands like activate, enable, login,
> mtrace, ping, ppp, slip.

That looks like a cisco dialup server. I've seen authentication problems
like this with the cisco as5300 (try 'show version' at the command line
you get) and livingston radiusd. Your provider may have received similar
complaints from Linux and old Mac users or people with ISDN TA's (in
short, anything likely to be using a script), call them and check it out.
Their logs will probably show no login attempts from you at all.

As long as you're positive that you're not using a script that's waiting
for some login prompt, you can probably blame it on your provider's
equipment (they may be as baffled as you are). Have you also tried
authenticating with PAP? I've been told that Merit radiusd solves the
problem but haven't tried it myself. Of course getting them to change
radiusd if that's the case is another matter altogether.

hth

-ac