Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:53:36 PDT
From:      "N. R.R." <robalama@hotmail.com>
To:        kellutz@telusplanet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: connecting to ISP

Give this a try.

Put "enable dns" under your isp section in ppp.conf.

Hope that does it.

Neill

>I doubt that the problem is having FreeBSD and Winblows 95 on the
computer.
>It sounds like it is in the DNS lookup, or the PPP config files.  In
your
>/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file you should have some lines like:

>MYADDR: # or 'your_isp_name:', if you connect using "ppp -ddial
>your_isp_name" (or ppp -auto or whatever).
 >delete ALL
 >add 0 0 HISADDR

>That will make sure that you have a gateway address to your isp.
When
>installed 3.1-Release, there was a comment that said this wasn't
needed

>anymore, but it didn't work without it for me.  If that doesn't work,
it's
>probably in your DNS lookup (does it take a long time for it to tell
you
>that it can't find the domain name, or does it pop up right away?).

Thanks!  I added a '#' after MYADDR: in the ppp.linkup file, and now
when I ping the ifconfig numbers, I get a response.  A step in the
right

direction.

My next problem is that the ftp still has a "Host name lookup
failure."
message that appears when I try to connect for downloading ports.
This
message comes up immediately.  What did I do wrong, did I miss
something

in resolv.conf?

Patrick