Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:02:11 -0400
From:      "Stephen Comoletti" <rugose@www.delanet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fw: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

Small update and another question. The intel udma controller is made
actually a Promise Technology Ultra33 IDE. Promise Tech claims not to
supprt freebsd or any other unix from the info gateway tech support could
provide me. Their only advice was to connect the drive to the motherboard
primary ide which freebsd did detect.

Question is, will there be any updates to freebsd that will allow detection
of the above card? or is it actually compatible now and I have another
problem? Gateway tech said the difference from the promise controller and
the motherboard ide is as great as 3-1 ratio, a visually noticable speed
difference depending on what I use the pc for. I'd rather is the card if at
all possible.

So far I've checked the cables, the jumpers, and made numerous changes to
the bios in an attempt to get it to recognize the card. Any more ideas
before I pull it out?

Steve

----------
> From: Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
> To: Stephen Comoletti <rugose@www.delanet.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC
> Date: Tuesday, September 16, 1997 1:56 AM
>
> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Stephen Comoletti wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a Gateway 2000 pc. My current
> > configuration is
> > Pentium II/266
> > 64 megs ram
> > 6.4gig quantum fireball IDE hd
> > Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master UDMA IDE controller
> > iomega zip drive
> > Mitsumi 12/24x CD
> > Ensonique sounscape
> > Telepath 56k x2
>
> Okay...
>

> > During my attempt to install I discovered that only my zip drive was
> > recognized as a valid storage device (as wdc1 on irq 14).
>
> No, that's the second IDE controller.  The zip would have come up as wd2
> in that case.
>
> > After some talk with a friend we tried various changes to the cmos,
> > altering the plug&play settings, disabling the motherboard IDE
controller
> > which was driving the zip and the CD-ROM both, and manually configuring
the
> > HD. None worked.
>
> Hm, I know for a fact that the 82371SB works fine with FreeBSD, I have
one
> on this Asus board.  Verify that the master/slave jumpers are set
properly
> and the cable is plugged properly on the Quantum.  (Quantums are known
> rogue drives, unfortunately)
>
> > Devices connected to the motherboard IDE seemed to be detected fine.
The