Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:23:50 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI low level format, good or bad

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 06:06:27AM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Karl Denninger writes:
> >
> > I've seen a non-trivial number of disks come off the factory line with
> > non-optimal formats.  I don't know if its a temperature tolerance thing or
> > what, but this has been my experience.
>
> What do you consider a non-optimal format?

One which generates errors after short periods of being online (small numbers
of unrecoverable block errors), among other things.  Then there is the
entire mode page issue.

> Does Adaptec's low level format mess with the SCSI mode pages? If so,
> reformatting might "optimize" the disk. I've observed the default for
> WCE and other options varies according to where the disk came from, not
> by manufacturer.

Yes.  I have a rather old utility which works with Adaptec SCSI host
adapters which can change most of the mode pages that are "interesting".
Its not perfect, but it works for a lot of stuff that otherwise is
"immutable" without a lot of screwing around.

> I stick by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" reasoning. There is no
> telling exactly how they format the drive at the factory. No telling
> what additional hardware monitors are attached to the drive. You'll
> notice most all drives have additional connectors and test points for
> *something*.
>
> In fact there is no telling exactly what happens when you "low level"
> format the drive yourself. With any luck it will take the factory defect
> list (not block list, but lowest level bit error position from index,
> remember MFM and RLL disks?) as gospel and try to arrange blocks around
> that.

The problem appears, in many cases, to be temperature tolerance.

This is why its very, very important to run a drive in the final enclosure
with all covers, etc in place for a couple of hours before you try to
low-level format it.

I know that with today's positioners and such this is never supposed to be
necessary.  Tell that to the disks that I've had to format, but once doing
so have run for *years* without a single block error.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service