Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:02:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Have to ask: __dead & __pure?

Hi...

	I know the question has gone around concerning BIND, so
apologies that I didn't follow them, and therefore probably missed
the answer, but...

	Why are there a couple of prototypes in <unistd.h> and <stdlib.h>
that are surrounded by __dead ... __dead2 and __pure ... __pure2?  What
do those mean?  And why do they only seem to affect compiling BIND?

	I've looked at the code, and the include files, and can't figure
out where, if anywhere, compiling BIND "tickles" anything different then
compiling a simple program, but then again, I can't find anything in
the cpp man page that references __dead/__pure *shrug*

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.