Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 1995 15:57:02 +0100
From:      Simon Marlow <simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        "Serge V.Vakulenko" <vak@gw.cronyx.msk.su>, davidg@root.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beta version of IDE CD-ROM driver ready

> > Hmm...  I did not try the second controller yet...
> >
> > Probably, you have a drive which does not interrupt before
> > gettin a packet command.  The driver of version 1.0 does not handle
> > this properly.
>
> I am getting this behaviour on wcd0 (I don't have any IDE disks at all).
> Is there a quick hack I can use to get past the probe?

I did some investigation, and it seems that the reset operation isn't
completing properly, so it times out.  As a hack, I changed the line
(in wd.c)

	if (wdreset(du) != 0 && (DELAY(RECOVERYTIME), wdreset(du)) != 0)
		goto nodevice;

to carry on even if the reset timed out.

This gets the controller probed, and you can also get the CDROM
attached.  There are more problems, however: the extra interrupt that
is supposed to happen as a result of the attach operation never comes,
and the driver won't start any operations because it thinks the
controller is active.

So I modified wd.c again to not expect this interrupt from wdc1, but
things still don't work (it seems no interrupts are coming from the
controller, I have no idea why).

Perhaps someone who knows more than me about this stuff can help? :-)

Cheers,
    Simon

PS. my second HD controller is on the ISA bus at 0x170, IRQ 15 and is
reported as such by the DOS ATAPI driver.

--
Simon Marlow						 simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk
Research Assistant			    http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~simonm/