Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:21:16 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell Perc H200A

--On September 9, 2012 9:54:12 AM +0300 Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu
<thciobanu@nth.ro> wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 14:34:14 -0500
> Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to install FreeBSD 9.0 Release on a Dell R410 with Perc H200A
>> today.  When I tried ran the new installer it failed.  So I switched
>> to sysinstall, but it couldn't recognize the disk.
>>
>> I googled and found out that there's been a problem with no driver
>> for that controller.  If I understand it correctly, the mps driver
>> works, but you had to use something called JBOD mode.  I have no idea
>> what that is or how to set it up.  I'm not real knowledgeable about
>> RAID and controllers and the like.
>>
>> All I want to do is install FreeBSD on this box.  Is there a version
>> of FreeBSD that will work with the Perc H200A?  If so, how do I get
>> it?
>
> I don't know if this is still the case, but there was a time when you
> could use LSI2008 (the chipset) cards only with IT firmware (JBOD
> mode) in FreeBSD.
>
> To flash the H200A with the IT firmware, you had to go through some
> hoops, as switching modes for this kind of cards is not done in one
> step:
> http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16266.aspx

Can anyone confirm that this is still the case?  Does the mps driver
support this controller?  Is it included in 8.3 RELEASE?  Or am I going to
have to jump through hoops to get FreeBSD installed on this box?

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst