Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:45:35 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

As Michael Smith wrote:

> > That said, I'm sure that some people wouldn't mind having an
> > 'object-mostly' kernel distribution in addition to the full source
> > distribution. That way

> Or even just a means to construct such a distribution.

Well, yes, this little detail is just missing. :)

As i wrote earlier in this thread, it's certainly not that anybody
here would _mind_ such a scenario, it's only that nobody of the
current kernel hackers has the slightest driving force to create this
construct.  That's simply a matter of fact, since we already noticed
that kernel hackers won't (can't) ever use such an object-mostly
distribution.  (Perhaps i could use in my dayjob, when setting up a
customer's machine.  But then, 30 MB of disk space and 10 minutes of
compilation time are still cheaper to me.)

That said, unless somebody is really willing to make this project fly
(himself!), it sure won't ever happen.  This `somebody' is likely not
to be found among David Greenman, John Dyson etc.

--
cheers, J"org