Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:37:24 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

* > > I would like to be able to call up Frame
* > > and say, please send me a copy for ??? without worrying that it
* > > won't work.
* >
* > Dreaming 8)
*
* We need an ABI-using tested software list.  I don't know how Frame tests,
* but most companies use automated testing techniques for port validation.
* We need to talk them into running them on BSD.
*
* Part of the problem is that ABI includes install environments for the
* apps to be loaded with.  Right now, it's hand-install or nothing.
*
* A lot of Databases and other programs that have daemons like to drop
* code into /etc/rc?.d/* files to start at the correct run level.

Exactly.

Binary emulation isn't really enough to make things fly.
Making it really work is very hard, but it's fairly important.

Doing SunOS, Solaris, or SysV well is required to get the
apps that BSDI hasn't managed to attract.   Solaris is probably
the best bet from the point of view of having lots of apps.
SunOS second and SysV last.

The other possibility is to build ports-like installers for 3rd
party apps.  I'm not sure this is any easier.

Frame wasn't an idle question for me.  I've got a floating license.
Right now it floats over to my Sparcstation 1.  Kinda slow.

-Dave