Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:20:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      rkw@Dataplex.NET
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM Release Generation - (Re: Stable and CTM)

On 26 Oct, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> i am just jumping in on the middle of a discussion so apologies if i
> say stupid things... but isn't everything one needs in the CVS
> repository so _in theory_ at least one could ask cvs, file by file, to
> produce the differences without having to replicate things ? And, being
> things stored in cvs, the deltas from one version to the other of the
> same file are stored in a reasonable compact way...

The fundamental problem is "_in theory_". In practice, the master CVS
tree gets yanked around from time to time.
AFAIK, the only way to be certain that you have a correct copy of the
tree, as distributed by CTM, is to generate it by actually applying the
CTM deltas. As for a shortcut to generating the deltas, I would be more
inclined to snoop on a cvsup session and capture a list of files which
need attention. You would still need to periodically run a full
comparison to make sure that nothing fell through the cracks.

The real hangup in the whole process is related to the inefficient way
that our sources are stored in single tree. In order to get to the
recent 2.2 tree, you have to back out a whole lot of changes to
"current" to get back to the branch point and then put many of them back
in when you return up the 2.2 history track. I know that the would be
more efficient to have a separate tree for tracking 2.2. I also suspect
that it would require little extra HD space.
The other advantage would be that the old history on the bottom of the
rcs files could be removed and stored on a read-only area which chains
from the current file.