Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:54:56 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, jhb@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mdconfig config file (was: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC)

[cvs-(all|commiters) -> -hackers]

> >> If anybody writes a patch to mdconfig to DTRT based on some
> >> less bogus /etc/fstab entries, I'll happily review and commit it.
> >
> >Does this sort of functionality really belong in mdconfig?
>
> Not by definition, and I'm not religious about it.

Okay, any objections then to jhb's configuration file idea?  The idea
is that mdconfig parses a file (md.conf or something) and sets up some
memory disks accordingly, including optional disklabel/newfs stuff.
Later, a simple 'ffs'-type fstab entry will mount it wherever the user
wants.  This may be a little complicated for the simple /tmp case, but
I can think of some environments where this would be useful.  vnconfig
also supports a similar config file option, so I think it's fitting
that mdconfig should, too.

I've come up with a preliminary patch to teach mdconfig(8) to parse a
config file.  It's a little early to be of practical use (and it lacks
the disklabel/newfs option), but it's a start.  It's a little long
because I made some of the code in the switch(ch) block into functions
to avoid having two blocks doing the same thing, so I've decided not
to attach it not to bother the uninterested parties.  If you could
take a minute or two and comment on it I'd appreciate it.  You can
find it at http://www.unixfreak.org/~dima/mdconfig1.diff

The current format of the config file is:

    <unit> <type> <argument=value>,<arg=value>,...

for example:

    md0		swap		size=64m

Comments?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org

P.S.  Is there any reason the -b (baseaddr) option for preload disks
is currently unimplemented?  The patch implements it (it was one line,
so I thought 'what the heck'); the ioctl works, but I was unable to
test it.