Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 17:08:49 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

At 4:19 PM 9/16/95, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>On the sup vs ctm, well, when ctm can fix my tree I just splattered
>all over I'll switch, until then I will leave it to the others to
>use.  CTM is slightly fragile with respect to anyone doing work in
>there local tree, while sup has documented mechanism to deal with
>it (backup is a really nice option, as are old and keep :-).  Some
>how I think it will be a long time before CTM can offer that level
>of fuctionality.

The "features" that I like about CTM are 1) the transfer overhead is
reduced and 2) the system is event driven rather than polled. This implies
that the load on a server is greatly reduced. In particular, I think this
can become an advantage when a release becomes "very-stable" and only get
occasional bug fixes.

Your points about the ability of sup to repair a damaged tree are valid. I
tend to forget them because I can easily restore from the (local) mirror
site.

I am still willing to generate CTM updates for -stable and mail them out
just as soon as I can learn the secrets.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net