Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:02:17 -0500
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>, Dan Busarow <dan@buildingonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, miwi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PHP7 package?

Hello,

On 2/7/16 8:32 AM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> This post suggests that a php7 port should be coming soon
>>

>> https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=86492+0+archive/2016/freebsd-ports/20160117.freebsd-ports
>>
>> but there is stil no port or package available for php7
>
> You can check out the repo and build them yourself, it works, see it at
>
> https://a1.opsec.eu/test.php

I cloned the ports, created a (separate) poudriere ports collection and
added them to that. No problem building the php70 port or most of the
modules that I use in php70-extensions. The pdflib module is a PECL
module that hasn't been updated to PHP 7.0 and chokes. So do some other
PECL extensions. In fact, I'd guess there are hundreds of PECL modules
in the ports tree that either have not been updated to PHP 7.0 upstream
or have not been updated in the ports tree if they have been updated
upstream. I found examples of both (pecl-APCu has been updated upstream
but not in ports, pecl-memcache has not been updated upstream) in
modules I use regularly. Some modules are hosted on Github and are
branched for PHP 7.x but are not at the "release" stage and have to be
edited with a Github "tag" (phpXx-redis being a case in point - it
builds against php70 if it is modified to use GH tag "0d4b421", and a
similar situation with pecl-igbinary which has to be completely reworked
as the update is not available in PECL, only on GH). Of course I haven't
tested most of them in any meaningful way so the fact that they compile
does not indicate that I believe they work as intended.

This may in fact be a larger sticking point in adoption of PHP 7.x than
backward code incompatibility, though that's a subject for another day
on another mailing list.

Thank you miwi@ et al for the work. Clearly much remains to be done.

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference." - Mark Twain