Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:06:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@misha.cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serving NIS to Solaris client -- UNSECURE=True

Hello!

I need to add a Solaris machine to the happy family of FreeBSD
machines sharing the user and other databases.

I DID uncomment ``UNSECURE=True'' in the /var/yp/Makefile and
rebuilt all the files.

``ypcat passwd'' on all clients (including the Solaris one) now
lists the encrypted passwords in the second fields of the record.
All passwords start with the $-sign.

The Solaris-2.6 (SunOS 5.6) machine is configured to be an NIS
client. In /etc/nsswitch.conf, the passwd line says ``files nis''.

I can `finger' any user on it. However, no non-local user can
log-in.

Perhaps, the passwords are encrypted differently?

Thanks for any clues!

Yours,

	-mi