Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 23:42:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Classic Matlab

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Pedro Giffuni S. wrote:

> Hi,
> Some (long) time ago I sent to the interested persons a copy of the
> source code for Matlab. I found it around here again, and after cleaning
> it, I found an older (1980) version that was hacked to work under SunOS
> and Linux in:
> ftp://csi.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/matlab/classic/
>
> If someone wants to work on it I can send the 1984 version again. Some
> unix specific hacks are missing and a change in the character table must
> also be done, but it works.

You know, normally I am 100 percent in favor of free software, but the
Matlab folks very clearly want their program commercial, and there
doesn't seem to be any pettiness involved in their actions, and there
doesn't seem to be any lack of competition for this kind of software among
stuff that _is_ free (like octave or scilab).  Personally, it kinda feels
like mere courtesy to leave this one alone.

I'm willing to be flamed here if I'm wrong, and I know Pedro meant nothing
evil by suggesting this, but I hope this doesn't turn into a port.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |