Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:04:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cobalt blames linux for their security problems!

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> [moved to chat, Julian]
>

> > http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/18109.html
> >
> > There's a good idea.. use a free OS and then blame it for your problems..
> >
> > BTW did I tell you about the huge security holes we got from BSD (only
> > kidding)
>
> Did you read the rest of that article, Julian?  It's depressing when
> both sides get their facts *so* wrong!  Either that, or the reporter
> *wanted* to give that impression, in order to jazz up the article.

yes I did. and I was refering to the following line..

"Vivek Mehra, vice president of product development at Cobalt, said the
hole, which could give a hacker access to a history file documenting a
user's activities, wasn't specific to their appliance, but to the Linux
operating system. "

How can you blame Linux for the apparent fault? (It's not actually a
problem in linux just in the configuration) It's the integrator's job to
ensure that the log files aren't exposed to the web.  That seems somehow
to be the problem. I'm just amazed at how quickly the finger get's pointed
and how the free OS is a sitting duck.

It's tricky trying  to think of every security flaw. I'm just crossing my
fingers that WE (Whistle) will be quick off the mark when our turn comes..