Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        opsys@mail.webspan.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option MROUTING

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Terry Lambert
had to walk into mine and say:

> > You could slap a nice pretty GUI on all the config tools for mbone on unix
> > you want, but until you find a provider who carries MBONE feeds, let alone
> > even remotely knows what the MBONE is, it isnt going to do you much good.

Even if they do know what it is, that sometimes doesn't help.

[chop]

> > I have tried sprint, mci, and feist here and not one engineer knew the
> > difference between the MBONE and a video conferencing ISDN solution.
>
> You didn't try very hard at Sprint: Vadim Antonov works there as a
> network engineer.

Then maybe he can explain why Columbia's MBONE service from Sprint
sucks so much. Traffic from Columbia goes from our primary gateway to
mbone.appliedtheory.com, and then to pen-mbone-1.sprintlink.net,
which, I've been told, is a Sun SPARC machine of some kind running
Solaris. It has a large bunch of tunnels hung off it, and it leaks
packets like a sieve. When connectivity isn't screwed up like it is
now (more on this in a second), it loses anywhere from 40% to 60% of
all the traffic passing through it. The shuttle mission astronauts
can hear NASA better than we can when a mission is being multicast.

Recently though, things have gotten even weirder. It looks as though
the particular chunk of the MBONE on which reside has been split off
from the rest of the world. I only see one thing in the session directory
these days, and that's Radio Free Vat. The only people I see on that
group are either closely peered to Sprint or overseas somewhere.
I've been told that plans are afoot to obtain an MBONE tunnel from
an alternate source because Sprint's service is so spotty.

About the only good thing about the whole mess is that at least now
I can actually listen to Radio Free Vat.

-Bill